Rear end collisions happen all the time. Knowing how much an insurance company is going to pay to have your vehicle repaired is something to consider. As well, if your vehicle should be repaired or simply totaled. Let’s dive in to rear-end collision repair cost.
There isn’t an industry standard cost across the board for rear end collision repair or rear bumper repair. Rear end collision repair cost can average from as little as $500 upwards to $10,000. The cost to repair most rear end collisions is based on the type of vehicle and the extent of damage.
Cost of Vehicle Repair after Rear-End Collision
There are many determining factors when attempting to calculate the average cost of rear end collision repair. When hit from behind, there are several things that occur to the body, and frame of your car. Every collision is different; so an average cost is said to be anywhere from a few hundred dollars to several thousand. Even if you think that your bumper looks fine, you should still get it looked at. How much is it going to cost though, if you do get it looked at? One thing about determining factors of the cost to repair is also going to be based on the insurance of the driver at fault.
AVERAGE REPAIR COSTS
When in a rear end accident, your insurance company may determine if your vehicle is repaired or written off as salvage. Tachoir Auto will help work with you getting rearend and any frame damage fixed. So how do average repair costs, across the industry, have so many different variables? Here’s why:
- Make, model and year of your car
- ALL Damage to your car. Tachoir provides a thorough inspection of your vehicle after a rear-end accident
- Customization of your vehicle prior to the accident (with records and receipts of customizing)
- What the insurance company is willing to pay, vs. totaling the vehicle outright
GET REPAIR ESTIMATE
How to figure rear end collision repair costs
- The first thing to look at is what sort of damage your car has. Simply looking at the vehicle can only give you a rough idea of the damage, there may be damage that the bumper is hiding. But a quick look will tell you if you’re going to simply need to remove a dent, this will cost anywhere from $50 to $100, or if there is paint damage that needs to be fixed. Paint damage tends to be more expensive because of the process of repairing the paint job.
- The next factor that comes into play is the make and model of your car. If you have a custom car, parts and paint are going to be more expensive than mass manufactured vehicles. In addition, certain vehicles like Toyota tend to be cheaper when it comes to parts then vehicles like BMW.
- Finally, the cost that the collision center charges you is going to play a role in the total bill. The cost of labor is going to vary based on the type of work that needs to be done. If the whole bumper needs to be removed then it is going to take a significant amount of time due to the different components that are connected to the bumper. On average though, labor can be anywhere from $50 per hour up to $200 per hour.
Do you need to repair your vehicle?
The short answer is yes, you should get the repairs done to your vehicle after a rear-end collision. The safety of your car may have been compromised through the damage caused by the accident. The bumper may fall off because it is no longer secured properly, which is unsafe for you as well as being unsafe for the people driving around you. In addition, the structure of the bumper and the car frame may have been damaged, this can lead to your car’s inability to withstand future impacts.
While the bumper may only appear scratched or cracked, it may may be hiding other underlying damage that the car sustained from the impact. Even if you don’t think that there is underlying damage but there is a crack in the bumper, further damage is a possibility. This is due to weather getting into the cracks of the bumper and beginning to wear down the internal mechanisms of the vehicle. By getting the bumper removed and repaired you may find more serious damage that needs attention, or save yourself from further damage. This process will ensure that your car is safe to drive.
Lowering the cost of rear-end collision repairs:
There are several ways that you can attempt to lower the cost of repairs:
- Talk with your insurance company. The coverage that you receive will be based on your policy and the situation surrounding the accident. Once you’ve talked with your insurance you can decide if it makes more sense to pay out of pocket or file a claim.
- Do your research. Look for collision centers that are certified and have good reviews. This will ensure that your vehicle is properly taken care of as well as giving you an idea of the type of work that you will receive.
- Shop around. Once you have found several collision centers that work for you begin to talk to them about their different pricing.
Rear End Collision: Who is at Fault?
Mainly caused by careless people; rear-end collisions are caused by a number of things, such as Distracted Driving (texting while driving, using GPS navigation systems and talking on mobile phones). These types of crashes are also commonly caused by driving too fast, reversing a vehicle without looking, following someone too closely, stopping abruptly for red light cameras or poor road conditions. Again, collisions are mainly due to carelessness of the at-fault driver.
According to the NHTSA, 22% of accidents in Pennsylvania are rear end impacts. The Pennsylvania General Assembly statute 3310 outlines that following too closely is against the law and reads:
Title 75 § 3310. Following too closely.
(a) General rule.–The driver of a motor vehicle shall not follow another vehicle more closely than is reasonable and prudent, having due regard for the speed of the vehicles and the traffic upon and the condition of the highway.
Since Pennsylvania is an “at-fault” state, the person who rear-ended the vehicle in front of them is to blame, and therefore, at fault. You will need to consult your insurance company in regards to damages and repairs. Keep in mind that Tachoir Auto Body has your best interests at heart and will thoroughly inspect your vehicle after a rear-end accident.
How Tachoir Repairs Damage Caused By Rear End Collisions
Tachoir Auto Body and repair, a collision center in Jefferson Hills, PA, understands that accidents happen. When you’re getting ready to take your car in for auto body repair, we provide a low stress collision repair experience.
Once you’ve made arrangements and dropped off your vehicle we will get to work. After we have thoroughly looked everything over, you can expect to hear from us so that we can talk about any other damage that we found once the bumper came off. Once we’ve talked everything over and you feel comfortable with the process and the time your car needs to be in the shop, we’ll get to work on what we found.
Our goal is to help you through this stressful time. We are ASE and I-CAR Gold Class Certified. This certification ensures that you will receive high-quality repairs. In addition to quality car bumper repairs we have exceptional customer service.
We encourage you to come to Tachoir certified service center to get a professional estimate so you’re made aware of the unseen damage your car may be hiding.