You’re driving down the road when out of nowhere a rock flies up and makes contact with a sicking crack from the windshield. As you continue on your drive you hope that you got off lucky and there won’t be a crack. When you get out of the car to inspect the damage later your stomach sinks as you see the crack.
Your instinct may be to ignore the damage but that could be a dangerous instinct to follow. If a crack is left unattended it may grow until the integrity of the windshield is compromised. If this happens you could be in danger. Your windshield is no longer up to the task of keeping you safe, so what happens now?
Windshield replacement can be a fairly painless process. As with any repairs on your car there is going to be a cost, both monetarily and in time. The amount that you are going to pay for this type of repair is going to depend on the type of windshield that you have as well as the repair center that you go to. At Tachor in Jefferson Hills, PA we work to give you cost efficient work that is quality.
How long does the repair take:
The amount of time needed to wait before driving after a windshield replacement varies. The typical wait time is between 30 and 75 minutes. This is an average though, give Tachoir a call for an estimate at (412) 233-3196. Factors like the weather, the speed at which you drive, as well as the type of windshield that you have are going to play into the amount of time that is needed for your windshield to set properly.
- Weather: During warm the warmer summer season there is a faster curing time for the windshield to adhere to the car. In the winter though, the adhesive takes longer to adhere to the car. This means that it is going to take longer before your car is ready to drive during the winter.
- Driving Speed: If you do not wait the right amount of time before driving at high speeds, you can be putting yourself in a dangerous position. This is due to the adhesive not being totally secured to the car, which can cause the windshield to fall off. If, however, you drive at slower speeds you may be able to drive sooner.
- Windshield type: If you have a more modern windshield it may take more time for the repair to be complete. This is because the newer windshields have built in displays and sensors. In addition if you have specialty cars it will take more time to get a piece of glass that fits in your car.
Why Do I Need To Replace My Windshield?
The windshield of a car serves many different purposes.
- It helps to provide structural support, and without it your car is at risk of collapsing in on you.
- It also helps you to drive safely by providing you with a clear line of sight of what is happening around you as you drive. If a crack is left unattended it may begin to spider out and obstruct your line of sight, causing you to become a danger to those around you.
- It helps protect you if you are in an accident. If your windshield is not adhered properly to your car and you are involved in an accident it may become separated from the vehicle, leaving you vulnerable to be thrown from the car.
If you are unsure as to how long you should be waiting before you drive please ask Tachoir Collision Center. Our car repair experts will be able to properly give you the time frame and estimate that is needed to ensure your safety for your next drive. Here at Tachior we offer quality car windshield replacement. Our qualified technicians are ready to ensure that your car is repaired quickly and properly. Give us a call or come in and see us, we are here to help you.